On average, a conventional water heater will last anywhere from 8-12 years. Many factors contribute to water heater failure, but more often than not, time is the culprit. Early failure is not very common, in fact, many of the water heaters we work on are over a decade old. As far as repairs go, we can repair any damages that aren't age-related, though we may recommend a replacement instead if we believe it will save you money and trouble down the line. If you need hot water heater repair in Plano, TX, give At-Ease Plumbing a call at (972) 947-2191!
Hot Water Heater Repair Issues
Some of the more common water heater problems we encounter are:
Extinguished Pilot Lights
If your pilot light goes out, the water won’t be heated and your water heater will essentially store room-temperature water. An extinguished pilot light may simply need to be re-lit, or it may be a sign of a larger problem.
A thermocouple acts as a safety device. By sensing when the pilot light is lit, a thermocouple allows gas to flow and can stop the flow of gas when it senses the pilot light is out. A malfunctioning thermocouple could fail to recognize a burning pilot light, preventing the heater from warming your water.
Malfunctioning Pressure-Relief Valves
These valves relieve built-up pressure from steam accumulating as the water inside the tank is heated.
Leaking Drain Valves
A drain valve allows you to easily remove the water inside the tank for transporting or maintenance, but these valves can sometimes be stuck open. An opened drain valve will leave a hot, wet mess on your utility room floor, and there won’t be any hot water for you to shower and relax either!
An aging heating element can stop working adequately, taking longer to heat your water or not getting it hot enough at all. Poorly-functioning elements can cause convection currents within the water in your tank, which can lead to a buildup of pressure and malfunctioning drain valves.
It may seem that your water heater will stop working at the worst possible time. Maybe you have family coming into town, or you need to have your children showered in the morning for school. The point is, there is never a good time for your water heater to stop functioning. Some parts of your water heater can be replaced, such as your thermostat, but sometimes you may need a new unit.
At-Ease Plumbing is here to put your water heater worries “At-Ease.” If you need hot water heater repair in Plano, TX, give us a call at (972) 947-2191!
- Tankless Water Heaters Tankless water heaters are energy efficient and provide your home with additional benefits and features.
- Water Heater Installation If you need help with water heater installation, our team has great options you’re sure to love!
- Propane & Gas Water Heaters These traditional water heaters are an inexpensive and reliable choice for heating water in your home.
- Electric Water Heaters Electric water heaters are very efficient, and require less maintenance, and fewer repairs than traditional water heaters.
- Water Heater Inspections & Testing If you want to keep your water heater in working order, regular inspections and maintenance are recommended.